NESO cancels 1,200MW eclipse margin notice for Wednesday evening
By Harvey Rowlinson, Founder and Director, Purely Energy
Published 13 August 2026
National Energy System Operator (NESO) has withdrawn its electricity margin notice for 1700 to 1900 GMT on Wednesday, cancelling a call for extra backup generation that had flagged a potential **1,200 megawatt** shortfall against desired availability during the solar eclipse.
NESO has cancelled the margin notice it issued for Wednesday evening's solar eclipse, covering the window from 1700 to 1900 GMT. The notice had pointed to a 1,200 megawatt gap between expected supply and NESO's desired system margin, driven by the anticipated dip in solar generation as the eclipse crossed Britain. A NESO spokesperson confirmed there was no threat to customer electricity supplies at any point.
The mechanism here is straightforward: solar output falls sharply as the moon obscures the sun, and grid operators issue margin notices as a precaution to make sure enough thermal or flexible capacity is on standby to cover the gap. Reuters reported that the eclipse was projected to run from 1715 to 1930 GMT on Wednesday, and that grid operators across Europe had taken similar preparatory steps. The Telegraph had earlier reported that gas power stations were told to fire up ahead of the event, underlining how seriously the market treated the initial notice before it was withdrawn.
What the cancellation means for UK buyers
For commercial energy buyers, the episode is a useful reminder of how margin notices work rather than a signal of genuine supply stress. NESO's retraction indicates that forecast generation, likely a mix of wind, imports, and thermal plant, came in strong enough that the precautionary call was no longer needed. Businesses on flexible or half-hourly settled contracts may have seen a small uplift in system prices around the announcement window, but the cancellation removes the basis for any sustained premium.
- Margin notice issued for 1700 to 1900 GMT on Wednesday
- Flagged shortfall of 1,200 megawatts versus desired margin
- Cancellation confirmed by a NESO spokesperson, no risk to supply
- Eclipse itself running 1715 to 1930 GMT, per Reuters
- Gas plant had been put on standby, according to The Telegraph
Margin notices of this kind are routine tools, not distress signals, and NESO has used them before ahead of known generation risks such as low wind or plant outages. The eclipse case adds a rare, predictable variable: solar loss that can be modelled well in advance, unlike an unplanned outage. That predictability is likely why the notice was lifted once updated forecasts showed sufficient headroom.
Buyers should watch how NESO and National Grid ESO report system balancing costs for Wednesday once settlement data is published, as any residual cost from stood-up backup plant could still filter through to non-commodity charges on the next billing cycle.
Wholesale market chart
UK baseload day-ahead power
Last 7 days, settlement data
143.0GBP/MWh
+13.7% over 7 days
Why this window: Last 7 days — 17% range, 14% net move higher. Tight window picked so the week's price action is visible.
How we produced this article
This article was AI-drafted from public market reporting by Harvey Rowlinson on 13 August 2026. It is scheduled for its next review on 13 August 2027.
Sources
- British grid operator cancels request for backup power during solar eclipse hours., Reuters (accessed 13 August 2026) (subscription required)
- Gas power stations told to fire up during solar eclipse, The Telegraph (accessed 13 August 2026) (subscription required)
Read our editorial standards and corrections policy.